This presentation, delivered at the National Conference of Insurance Legislators' (NCOIL) annual meeting in Point Clear, Alabama, examines the non-medical use of prescription drugs (particularly opioids), the consequences of non-medical use, and the strategies currently available to combat such use.
Major Topics Include:
- Defining non-medical prescription drug use
- Current levels of illicit prescription drug use, initiation, treatment admissions, and death
- Prescription practices & public perception
- Doctor Shopping
- U.S. National Drug Control Strategy
- The Food and Drug Administration's Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS)
- Prescription drug monitoring programs (PMPS)
- Prescription drug takeback programs
Original Presentation: John Carnevale, Ph.D. National Conference of Insurance Legislators (NCOIL) Annual Meeting, Point Clear, AL; November 15, 2012.